The Latest & Greatest in Creating Your Awesomeness!
Cycling and safety are both particularly broad topics so I'm going to go with keeping it simple here and offering a few tips about cycling and summer sport safety in general as I could otherwise end up writing a whole book, or even two on these topics.
1. Wear a helmet. ALWAYS!!! So fine you're on a private road, a bike path, going slowly, blah, blah, excuse, excuse and then a pebble/stick/shoelace/pantleg gets caught in your drive train and your bikes comes to an abrupt stop, catapulting you forward (perhaps with a bit of your clothing stuck in the bike). You can trust yourself, your ability to gauge erratic traffic, and even the functioning of your vehicle, but anything can happen! I was going about 2 km/hour when I broke the head of my humerus (wasn't funny!), but had I not had a helmet on it would have been a head injury too! You can't protect your whole body, but at least protect the most important part. This applies to skateboarding, rollerblading, and rollerskating too!
2. Wear sunscreen. While the vibrant effects of this unexpected sunburn are fading this was my annual reminder as to why one wears sunscreen even when it's overcast (I admit, this is an area where I need to be more responsible!). It's good to get a few minutes of Vitamin D as most of us (85% of North Americans) are very deficient, but limit the time to 20 minutes or take a supplement.
3. Hydrate. Most of us don't get enough water as it is, combined with exposure to the heat and exercise you've created a triple threat to dehydration, heat exhaustion and sunstroke. The latter being a condition where the body is so overwhelmed it can no longer cool itself and is considered a medical emergency!
4. Wear a hat and get some shade. In the interest of also preventing the latter two conditions mentioned and sunburn, if the weather is permitting also wearing long pants or sleeves may be appropriate.
5. Use common sense. If common sense were common then I suppose I wouldn't have to include it, but if it's 28 degrees and humid at 7 am, don't plan to play beach volleyball at noon. If there are severe thunderstorm warnings your run through the hydro field or river valley trails are perhaps best rescheduled.
While safety talk (followed by according behaviour, or course!) is not the most awesome fun topic it keeps you able to continue your awesome fun and active lifestyle. And no helmets aren't fashionable, but they're a heck of a lot sexier than brain injury!
Are you ready for all the tips you need to CREATE your Awesomeness as you need them? Call 416-994-6267 now or fill out an online form to schedule your Complimentary Consultation.
4 cups of rolled aots
2 cups of chopped almonds
1/4 cup of hemp seeds
1 1/2 cups of unsweetened shaved coconut (or shredded if shaved is unavailable)
1/2 tsp salt (sea, himalayan, rock, kosher, not iodized table)
1/2 cup of maple syrup
4 tbsp coconut sugar, or sucanat
4+ tbsp of virgin coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract (real vanilla, not artificial)
1 cup of dried fruit (I like currants, cranberries, and golden berries!)
1. Toast the oats in an oven preheated to 300F until light golden 10-15 minutes, check half way through and stir or shake the cookie sheet to ensure even toasting.
2. Combine almonds, hemp seeds, coconut. and salt. Melt together the sugar and 4 tbsp of coconut oil. Whisk oil and sugar with syrup.
3. Remove oats from the oven leaving the oven on. Add oats to dry mixture and stir, then combine the wet and dry ingredients, leaving out the fruit until later.
4.Grease the baking sheet with the "+" coconut oil and spread the mixture out evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring once half way.
5. Remove from the oven and stir in the dried fruit (carefully the mixture is still wet and hot!). Let it cool completely, it won't be wet anymore, it will be crunchy and OM Nom Nom!
AWESOME EVENTS & PROGRAMS & ANNOUNCEMENTS!
Ricky Oats and Katie C. respectively.
Congratulations and many many thanks again to all who contributed to the Ride!
A SPECIAL EDITION OF SUNSET YOGA
8pm Monday June 22, 2015
$20 for Sunset Bliss
Call 416-994-6267 or email to register
AWESOMELY CLEAN WATER
While having a Brita filter was nice, our new Berkey water filtration system is top notch! It's so good we could run puddle water through it and it would be potable (although we won't, and it might not be very tasty anyhow!). The bottom left photo is just some of a GIANT list of nasties it removes.
Want even more Awesomeness?!
Get social with CREATE!
facebook, twitter, and instagram