Step 2, recognizing opportunity: you realize you can redesign the deck to suit your needs, or have an excuse to rid the kitchen of tiles you really hated but couldn't justify replacing, until now, or that dark colour really closed up the room and made it seem smaller than it was, but you can change it now. Now aren't you grateful for your home and those seemingly miserable and unlucky situation? Now you know they are actually disguised opportunities of good fortune in your favour!
Yes! This works for fitness, health, and wellness too, I'll provide another example, but abstract and seemingly unrelated examples are best for swaying opinion initially. Yes, I'm trying to sway your opinion, because few people when given the next example really want to do step 1. Now the example, a very common situation: you're overweight and have been diagnosed pre-diabetic and have high blood pressure.
Let's face it, it's difficult and not fun to acknowledge that while our parents perhaps fed us junk that for the most part we are responsible for how we got to any given place when it comes to our health as adults. If genetics play a part? Especially if genetics play a part then it's important to take responsibility for our health prior to problems arising.
Unfortunately, we can't even begin to recover from these ills until we take responsibility, you can cover them up and control them with medication, but recovery and curing them requires first acknowledging how you got there and who's responsible for getting you out. But rejoice, as you realize you're the one behind the wheel, there's grand opportunity to steer wherever you want to go, that's step 2 of being lucky, just seeing opportunity to rectify any problem, and even improve an already good situation which would perhaps roll around once your health is in the clear.
But how to be grateful in such a seeming mess? Well there are lots:
1. It's still all reversible with health and exercise.
2. You were diagnosed, that's no trip in an ambulance and a hospital stay!
3. They are all common illnesses so there's lots of science and research behind them and their treatments.
4. You can control them with drugs until diet and lifestyle take over.
5. You will not only get healthier, you'll feel awesome!
6. And heck, you probably won't complain when your clothes fit you better or you can get into something you love but hasn't fit in ages.
7. You will also be pretty grateful when walking, stairs, and perhaps even some partner-based activities *wink wink* are neither painful, exhausting, or leave you with limited ability to do other lifestyle activities because your muscles are sore.
8. So thankful you don't have to worry about having a heart attack anytime you run to catch the streetcar, chase your niece, your dog, or any need to run in general.
A list of so many for a mere example is to prove the point that there is a whole lot of luck even when it seems you've run out. You see luck is really not some metered commodity acquired from horseshoes, clovers, or a rabbit's foot (God forbid, Riley O'Hare is grateful for that!), nor lessened via black cats, ladders or sidewalk cracks. Luck is a frame of mind and when those 3 steps combine forces, you've got a mindset that can make you the luckiest person in the world, likewise you could have everything you ever wanted, but if you blamed everyone but yourself, never saw any opportunity to omprove, and didn't appreciate what you had when you had it all, you'd not feel very lucky at all. A lucky mindset also takes practice, you have to be aware of what you think, and choose a mindset that's congruent with luck, most of us just react to our thoughts and get carried away with worst case scenarios and the negative.
So stay aware, grab a hold of that wheel, and look for the most appealing turnoffs (even if you didn't see them on the map at first glance), and thank goodness you keep on rolling!
"Be thankful for what you have and you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have you will never ever have enough."
(okay okay, I'm very much) -Oprah Winfrey ('s parrot today.)
Having trouble with a lucky mindset? Or are you ready to take action and insure your fitness and wellness luck? Either way, CREATE can help:
I need help with a Lucky Mindset OR
I'm ready to get the accountability I need to reach my goals, I’d like to book a Free Consultation. We’ll assess what programs are appropriate to meet your goals and maximize your luck. Call 416-994-6267 or fill out an online form.